Sometimes the skin can get too tired and act up in different ways through breakouts, irritation and dullness. For weekends, when all you want to do is pamper your skin, a castor oil face mask can come in handy and make your skin happy for good!
So, without wasting any time, let’s get started with the DIY recipe.
Readers like you help keep The Beautyholic running. When you buy through links on our blog, as an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.
What you need
- 1 tablespoon pure castor oil (I use this one for different beauty recipes)
- 2 tablespoons thick yogurt
- 1-2 tablespoons oats
- 1 tablespoon aloe vera gel (preferably fresh or organic one from Amazon)
Benefits of the Ingredients
Castor oil is typically known for boosting hair growth and improve hair quality, but did you know it can benefit your skin too? This oil prevents skin dryness and itchiness and keeps it moisturized. It treats acne and breakouts. Castor oil facial masks work great for almost all skin types. It’s good for your eyelashes too!
Yogurt is widely used in face masks because of its moisturizing properties. Apart from that, it acne, blemishes, and pigmentation. If you have gotten a sunburn, yogurt can take care of it too! Zinc in yogurt calms inflammation and reduces sebum production. When you use a yogurt face mask, it gives a natural glow to the skin.
Oats aren’t just delicious and low-calorie grains, but they work great for skin too! Filled with antioxidants, they act as a natural cleanser and exfoliator. Furthermore, it prevents acne and breakouts. With oats on your face pack, you can wave goodbye to dead skin cells and say hello to clear skin.
Aloe Vera gel
If your skin gets irritated easily, aloe vera can soothe it. Not only that, it keeps dryness at bay and hydrates skin. It gets absorbed into the skin easily, so it’s ideal for oily skin types. Regular use of a freshly cut aloe leaf on your skin can fade acne scars and blemishes. The cooling and anti-inflammatory properties help cool down your skin.
Steps to Prepare Castor Oil Face Mask
- Take a glass bowl and mix castor oil and thick yogurt.
- Add oats and aloe vera gel to it.
- Give all ingredients a good mix until you get a thick paste.
Your castor oil face mask is ready to use!
Note: always do a patch test before applying it on your face, even when it’s homemade.
When and how to apply the mask?
- Apply a thick layer of the mask on your face and neck.
- Let it dry or sit on your skin for about 20-30 minutes.
- If you have dry skin, keep it on for 30 minutes. For oily or sensitive skin, 20 minutes are ideal.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water, and only apply a moisturizer if your skin needs it.
Do’s and don’ts
- Take the required amount of the ingredients as mentioned above.
- Don’t add too much castor oil into the recipe.
- Don’t apply too much of this mask.
- Avoid applying the mask every day.
- If you’re allergic to any of the above ingredients, then skip it.
- If you have acne-prone skin, then avoid using this mask.
- Don’t use too much yogurt or aloe vera gel, or it will make the mask thin.
- Don’t just mix it. Stir or whip it well to make a thick paste. Let all the ingredients mixed up
- with one another thoroughly. Then apply a thick layer on your skin.
- Avoid using on cuts and burns.
- Also, avoid applying on acne-prone areas.
- Apply carefully and keep away from the eyes and nose. It may cause skin irritation.
- Do a patch test before using it.
- Don’t make a large batch and store it for too long.
Finally, I would like to add to this post that it’s a good face mask for those with dry and dehydrated skin. So, I would recommend this castor oil face mask to my readers to try and let me know about their experiences.
I have oily skin, and I have been using this mask for the last 3 months. It clams my irritated skin and provides me with the needed moisture. And it is my second batch that I am preparing presently. So, do try it, and share your feedback with us.