The increased amount of pollution and heat is deteriorating skin quality throughout the world, making it vulnerable to all kinds of skincare products, hacks and treatments, which may or may not work for every skin type.
More often, we tend to ignore the basics of skincare, which causes long term consequences on our skin. The illuminating glow can be attained once the basics are covered and that can be achieved with a simple thing available inside your freezer and is doesn’t cost a dime.
No matter what skin type a person is, ice for skincare works like a magic potion but how? I will take you through two major ways of using ice as a skincare product: skin icing and facial bath.
Ariana Grande and Kate moss count the ice cubes as the Holy Grail for their skincare routine. Skin icing is an effortless technique of gently rubbing an ice cube all over your face in a circular motion for at least 10-15 minutes. This process helps the skin to soothe down and hydrate itself.
Our facial skin comes in contact with multiple damaging elements round the clock and with multiple skincare products on, it doesn’t get enough time to breathe. Icing your skin is a very therapeutic experience that helps open up the pores and rejuvenate its natural self. The ice cubes release the sensation, which reduces blemishes, acne, inflammation, tan, dark circles, puffiness, and even aging signs in the longer run.
Ice Cube Recipes for Skin
For added benefits, there are various ingredients you can freeze the ice cubes with:
We’ve read time and again, the countless number of skincare advantages that fresh aloe vera gel possesses adhering to its healing properties.
What you need:
- Fresh Aloe Vera gel extracted from the plant
- Blend water and aloe vera gel together for 30 seconds.
- Pour the mixture in the ice tray and let it sit overnight
- Gently massage the ice cube all over your face for 10 minutes.
- Let the moisture dry naturally without washing it off.
Aloe vera helps the skin to cool down and reduces any inflammation. The frozen extracts also take away the tiresome appearance and provide an instant glow.
Lemon juice has multiple benefits for the human body. Be it hair, digestion, or skin; lemon has got it all covered.
What you need:
- Squeeze the fresh lemon juice out into the ice tray
- Add some water to it (diluting is important to avoid the acidic reaction on sensitive skin)
- Let it freeze
- Take the ice cubes and gently massage it over your face in a circular motion for not more than 10-15 minutes.
- Let the moisture dry on its own
Lemon extract hold the healing properties and can give clearer skin complexion by reducing the acne scars and tan.
Cucumber slices are a blessing in the hot summer season. Whether you consume it or you apply, it is going to do well for your skin.
What you need:
- 1 or more cucumber
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Blend the cucumber and lemon juice.
- Pour the mixture in the ice tray and let it freeze
- Apply the cubes gently on your face
- Let the moisture dry naturally.
Cucumber blended with lemon acts as a nourishing agent for the skin, soothing it down and cleaning it thoroughly.
Cinnamon and rose water
Cinnamon is not just a spice that adds flavor to your food. It holds a great deal in the skincare routine as well.
What you need:
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon powder or 3-4 drops of cinnamon essential oil
- 3-4 tablespoon of rose water
- Mix rose water and cinnamon powder/oil together
- Freeze the mixture together into the ice tray
- Gently massage your face in a circular motion for 10-15 minutes
Cinnamon possesses anti-bacterial properties that remove excess oil and dust off the skin, making it glow instantly. The rose water added along helps the skin to rejuvenate after getting exposed to sunlight.
Facial bath is another method of ice treatment which is a rather difficult but an extremely effective one. Famous celebrities like Katrina and Alia swear by this technique for their flawless and glowing skin.
All you have to do is take a bowl full of ice and add a little normal temperature water to get the ice melt a bit. Now hold your breath and submerge your face inside the bowl and survive ten seconds in the winter wonderland, take the next 10 seconds to breathe normally and repeat the procedure for 5-10 times more.
This process is comparatively a hardcore one as the cold water directly hits your face giving you instant jitters. Even though this process might cause an intense effect immediately due to the temperature change, it does not have any prolonged side effect and does well not only for your but also the overall health.
However, don’t carry on the treatment for more than 15 minutes and it is mostly advisable to perform it early morning or right before you sleep.
What to keep in mind?
Always consider how much is too much before jumping into any skincare technique. the same goes for using ice for skincare. Here are some general tips to keep in mind before going ahead with skin icing:
- Avoid rubbing the ice directly if you have sensitive skin. It might damage the capillaries. Wrap it around a soft cotton cloth and then apply.
- Always ensure that your face is squeaky clean before starting the ice treatment, without any products on the skin.
- Follow the procedure for not more than 15 minutes and massage gently in smaller circulations.
- Make sure the ice tray used is clean and free from any kind of dust and germs.
- Once you are done with icing your skin, prevent washing it off and let the moisture dry naturally.
- Set a regular routine for best results and perform the process once in a day, preferably morning.
- If you have a dry skin type, try avoiding this treatment during winters as it will lead to the skin’s extreme dryness due to decreased blood circulation.
Benefits of Using Ice for Skincare
Something as simple as ice can do wonders to your skin if the treatment is carried out correctly and regularly. Here’s how a small piece of a cube can be your savior this summers:
- Instant glow: Ice facial directly increases the skin’s blood circulation, giving a very glowing and radiating effect. Ice gives an instant push to the tired cells of the surface and rejuvenates them.
- Reduces puffiness: Most of the girls have a problem with the puffiness early in the morning. Dipping your face in the bowl of ice will not only reduce the puffiness but will also wake you up in seconds.
- Prevent blemishes and pimples: Clogged pores lead to the problem of acne, blemishes and pimples. Rubbing ice cubes on your face shrinks the pores and cleanses out the excess dirt and oils that cause the pores to become acne.
- Reduces aging signs: Ice treatment tightens the skin up, preventing wrinkles and curbs the early signs of aging.
- Eliminates dark circles: Every other girl is tired of those dark bags and ice cubes are perfect for getting rid of the excessive fluid accumulation under the eyes.
- Long-lasting makeup: There’s a quick life hack for equal absorption of makeup, keeping it long-lasting. Wash your face off and rub the ice gently before applying the makeup for smooth distribution.
Ice therapy is the most affordable, convenient and easy skincare routine to follow and it hardly takes 15 minutes of your time in the day. However, consistency is imperative to experience beneficial results for any routine, and the same applies here. Do keep your skin type in mind before starting any therapy and if you see any negative side effects, take a break from the cycle and restart it once the effect cools down.