If you’re in need of a little style and sophistication but don’t know where to start, we got your back. This style guide will teach you how to dress classy and elegant! And, it’s simpler than it seems.
Not only will our tips help you look classy from head to toe, but they’ll also make everyone around you notice just how elegant and sophisticated they are too!
What is a classy woman style?
Defining classy is the first step: it is an appropriate and attractive style regardless of the time or place.
- The classy woman style can be used every day, not only for special occasions
- You don’t have to wear expensive clothes to dress classy; there are other ways (e.g., accessories) to do so
- Classy doesn’t mean boring; on the contrary – it means feminine, elegant, and you should find a style that is uniquely yours
How to Dress Classy and Elegant
Classy woman style is not something that you can learn overnight or buy with money. It’s an attitude about yourself and the way how you dress. So how do you dress classy and elegant? Here are some tips to help!
1. Wear the right fit
No matter your body type, dressing like a classy woman means buying clothes that fit properly and enhance your figure.
- For petite women: stick to classic cuts and silhouettes because they make you appear taller and leaner – no mini skirts or shoulder pads!
- For curvy women: stay away from too-tight clothes, but wear belts and belted jackets to show off your waist – this helps define your curves without being too over the top.
- For plus-sized women: Don long, full skirts and buckle belts to balance your body. Basically, belt them big and wear them big!
2. Choose the right colors
When it comes to color, a classy woman always keeps her other half in mind. It’s easy to look put together if your colors match without looking too matchy-matchy. The best part is he won’t be distracted by clashing outfits since his eyes will be drawn to you and your confident smile.
- For some women, red is a hard color to pull off (especially if it clashes with your skin tone). Avoid wearing red with white or black because it makes you look like a traffic light! If you must wear red, pair it with softer colors like pinks, oranges, purples, and yellows – these are complementary colors.
- When it comes to neutrals like black, white, browns, etc., there’s nothing wrong with wearing them together as long as they are different shades or textures. All your clothes shouldn’t blend together – you’re looking to stand out.
- For classy plus-size women: the same rules apply, but be careful because darker colors can make you appear bigger than you actually are. Instead of wearing full black or brown dresses, wear black with muted tans and reds – these complementary colors will bring out your skin tone.
Wearing too-tight clothing can make you look scruffy. No push-up bikinis – you want to look sophisticated. A tight t-shirt with an obscene slogan is also not classy – they’re very common in clubs (steer clear). Also, baggy clothes do not cater to a classy woman’s style.
3. Avoid overexposing at work
Dressing up for special occasions is fun, but most women only think of their job as a special occasion that requires dressing down.
Wondering how to dress classy for work? If you are attending a professional meeting or an interview, you should look polished and clean without looking too sexy, too casual, or too trendy. Your clothes should match your income level. This is because how well-dressed you are sends out signals about how much money you have made – how successful you are at your job.
Tuck in your shirt and hold up your pants so they don’t sag down to your knees. If these articles of clothing are too big or small for you, buy new ones that fit properly or get them tailored. Your clothes should fit you well, not sag down around your waist, and cover your behind.
When you work in a casual environment, you can wear skirts, dresses, pantyhose, and heels. In a more conservative office, mix it up with color and pattern, and keep the skin covered. Wear pretty jewelry or a scarf to round out your look to dress
4. Never forget the lipstick
Applying fresh lipstick before leaving the house is one of the classy lady moves. Keep lipstick in your purse so that you can refresh it after lunch to look polished.
You can also apply lip primer first and then the lipstick for a moisturizing base that prevents bleeding into fine lines for long-lasting lipstick. To seal in the lipstick, apply another coat.
5. Wear minimal makeup
Unless you’re attending an opera, don’t wear heavy eye shadows or mascara, and avoid overdoing your blush. When it comes to eye makeup, less is always more.
All you need is powder, eyeliner, mascara, and some red lip gloss if you like for a natural look. You can break these rules, but only in certain circumstances: for example, wearing dark mascara and red lipstick with a black dress and classic black pumps can look classy, but do not wear that to an office party.
6. Wear the right hairstyle
To be classy, it’s most important to be authentic. If you have long, sexy hair that feels good when letting it flow down, keep it that way, don’t cut your locks just because society tells you so. That’s living with dignity!
Simple haircuts can work best to highlight your facial features and bone structure. If you highlight certain parts of your hair, such as your bangs or parting, you can draw attention to certain areas of your face without compromising the overall style.
A choppy bob cut has some staying power because it’s great on any kind of face shape; anyone with fine or thinning locks will appreciate its versatility, while long layers are one way for thick-haired women who want volume up.
7. Smell good
Choose your perfume carefully, as cheap perfume has an overpowering scent. It’s a good idea to smell some perfumes before buying them to make sure you like the scent: Chanel No 5, Joy, Coco Mademoiselle, and Daisy by Marc Jacobs are very popular classy fragrances.
While wearing citrus-based fruit scents during the day, save fruity scents for the evening. Keep a small bottle of perfume in your handbag for touch-ups throughout the day.
8. Wear classic accessories
Classics never go out of style and will always make you look polished and put together at the same time. It’s a good idea to keep an eye out for sales on jewelry, scarves, hats, gloves, umbrellas—you name it.
- Handbags: Keep them simple because you don’t want a neon light-up or a purse that says “classy” (unless you want to). Remember, understatement is always the best choice.
- Shoes: heels are good, but not too high. Make sure the heel isn’t thicker than the width of your shoe, or you’ll end up with wide ankles.
- Jewelry: You don’t have to buy Tiffany & Co. jewelry to look elegant – know what jewelry to wear and when to wear it. Go for one statement neckpiece and avoid layering heavy jewelry. For earrings, go for simple silver or gold studs, pearls, or diamonds. Don’t be afraid of classic pieces because they never go out of style.
9. Pay attention to detail
Women who are meticulous in their appearance make a huge impact on others, and this level of perfection isn’t easy to attain!
Have fun playing with details: experiment with your hair or makeup looks, try different styles of clothing or accessories look – you’ll succeed sooner than later if you keep trying!
To dress classy does not come easy, and it means having everything in order. Stylish women always look like they’re straight from a fashion magazine, so if you manage to pull it off, people will notice and appreciate your unique style.
10. Wear chic undergarments
A classy lady would never go commando (fashion trends aside). If you’re wearing something tight and skimpy, chances are your panties won’t stay hidden underneath the dress or skirt. The presence of visible panty lines is a turnoff; anyone can easily see through chiffon skirts and dresses.
Don’t be afraid to have great lingerie and sexy underwear! And let’s be honest, what’s the point of looking elegant if you don’t feel the same way underneath your fancy clothes?
11. Don’t choose cheap brands
Particularly with fast fashion brands, this is difficult, but quality always wins. People can tell cheap clothes from classy ones, so stay away from Bershka and Primark. Remember to be careful when ordering copies online (don’t order Zara lookalikes or Forever 21 copycat dresses).
12. Appreciate classics
Everything boring is considered classy by definition. Remember grandma’s style? Grandma looks sophisticated, elegant, and timeless, doesn’t she? Fashion is always changing, but classy dressing never does!
13. Learn the art of understatement
If you want people to notice you dress nicely, don’t wear loud outfits or huge chunky accessories. Even if you don’t brag about your style choices, keep it simple, and people will notice.
14. Keep your nails in check
Among the biggest mistakes women make with their hands is not keeping their nails clean and well-polished. But it’s not that hard!
Get rid of chipped or peeling polish with a nail file. For a more elegant manicure, try a French or American manicure. To get rid of cuticles, use cuticle oil or sugar scrub with Vaseline every few days. Finally, keep your nails at a decent length—you don’t want to look like you have schnauzers on your fingers!
15. Keep it hairless
Keep your hands, legs smooth, hair-free, and silky by shaving at least once a week with unscented shaving cream or soap—you can also shave your face!
Nothing says “class” like a classy lady with a warm and welcoming smile. Keep your pearly whites bright by brushing twice daily with baking soda or toothpaste, flossing once daily (more if you want whiter teeth), and drinking plenty of water.
17. Embrace your inner confidence
Confidence in yourself comes from knowing who you are. Confidence makes you a lot more attractive. Fake it until you make it if you must, but “fake it ’til you make it” is probably a #1 rule. Believe in yourself, and others will follow.
All in all, be mindful of every aspect of your appearance, from head to toe! Take care of your nails (don’t go for cheap nail polish – invest in good brands), pay attention to manicure and makeup as well as hair styling (if an updo is too difficult for your taste, choose a simpler ‘do or chignon/bun instead). Wear elegant undies (don’t wear cotton granny pants under a dress that shows them ) without showing visible panty lines.
Other Tips to Dress Classy, Elegant and Feminine
- Wear clothes that flatter your figure and enhance your best features.
- Opt for luxurious fabrics such as silk or satin.
- Avoid blindly following current fashion trends. You don’t need to follow the latest trends if you feel uncomfortable in them!
- Refined cuts and luxurious craftsmanship dominate the classy lady’s wardrobe. Everything must be well made with excellent quality because it is essential to have outfits that won’t fall apart after a few times wearing them.
- Bright golds, scarlets, and crimsons blend harmoniously with dark woods such as cherry and mahogany. Black can be combined with most colors like orange, blue, red, and green, and its classy look makes you look slim and taller.
- Use colors that suit you. If your skin tone matches the color of your outfit, avoid wearing it (example: yellow dress).
- For work, go for something simple with no or little sparkle since those clothes are not appropriate for official occasions. If you want a flashy look, keep it minimal!
Your style is your own personal expression of who you are. A classy woman shows her pride in herself while being beautiful and graceful. They dress classy and elegant every day for themselves, not to impress or attract others.
If you believe you are a classy woman, then society will believe it too. If you don’t, everyone else will. Your body language, charm, and grace will attract others to you without having to try too hard.
You may need to brush up on some areas or toss out others. It’s all about being yourself, so have fun with it!