One of the most striking facial features is the lips, especially when combined with other facial features.
So how do you know your lip type? While we sometimes struggle to differentiate between the different types of lips, makeup artists, dermatologists, and lipstick fans will affirm that each type has its own distinct look.
Much like our eyes are considered the window to our soul, our lips reveal a lot about our character.
If you’ve got an awesome pair of lips, today we’re going to get into what they say about you, plus some tips on how you can enhance them.
Having said that, let’s talk about the different types of lips.
#1 Thin Lips
Typically, thin or slim lips are long and elongated, lacking definition or fullness. It can be either slightly thinner or very thin, to the point that they almost disappear, adding a more delicate and refined appearance to your face.
Thin kissers belong to the perfectionists. People with thin lips are patient and determined. Though they are prone to many problems, they handle them with grace.
Thin-lipped individuals are often associated with introversion and shyness as opposed to plump lips. Also, they may be seen as more intelligent and analytical, and sometimes they have a higher IQ.
Slim lip people are not afraid of being alone—they love being independent, and their relationships with their partners may not be as strong as those with full lips. The two, however, are perfectly happy together, but for their relationship to work, their partner needs a similar set of hobbies and interests.
Makeup Tips for Thin Lips
- Wear a lip liner one shade darker than your lipstick. This will give the impression of fuller lips.
- Apply lipstick in the center of your lips, and then blend outward. Doing so creates a more full-looking pout.
- Glaze or balm your lips to add shine and volume.
- Avoid using dark or matte shades, as they can accentuate thinness. Instead, choose light or neutral colors.
Check out these different ways to make your lips plump if you want to make them look even fuller.
#2 Thick Lips
Thick lips are a facial feature often associated with certain races, although anyone can have them. Some cultures see thick lips as a sign of wealth or privilege. Some celebrities with thick lips include Priyanka Chopra, Halle Berry, and Kim Kardashian.
Thick lips are often associated with fun-loving, outgoing people. This type loves spending time with friends and family. People of this type tend to be passionate and expressive.
On the other hand, people with thick lips can also be seen as being a bit impulsive and reckless. Some of them don’t always think things through before acting, which can sometimes lead to problems. At times, they can be quite stubborn, which makes it hard to get them to change their minds.
This type of lip is usually very protective, along with other characteristics. Natural maternal or paternal instincts are the roots of their sensuality. They are also supremely confident and are physically attractive.
Makeup Tips for Thick Lips
- Find a lipstick that is the same color as your skin tone or close to it. You will look younger and more youthful.
- Avoid using dark colors or too much gloss, as this can make your lips look even thicker than they are. Go light instead.
- Top your lipstick with lip gloss or lip balm to add shine and moisture.
- Outline your lips with a lip liner or lipstick in your natural lip color. They’ll be easier to define, and you’ll appear younger.
#3 Small Lips
A small lip can look delicate and dainty. They can be narrow or full, but they usually have a subtle shape, so they’re not as noticeable as bigger lips. Blake Lively, Jennifer Aniston, and Kate Middleton have beautiful small lips. Even Kylie Jenner had small lips before she got lip fillers.
Aside from being sensual and alluring, small-lipped people tend to be introverted and neurotic. They are also more likely to be perfectionists and have a higher sense of self-worth.
These people are also likely to be quieter and less expressive. Their outgoing sides may not always shine through.
Small-lipped people are often good listeners, and they enjoy taking care of others. Sensitive and compassionate people, they are often intuitive and can read people well. Often, they have strong convictions and like things done their way.
Makeup Tips for Small Lips
- Avoid dark or bright lip colors. This can make them appear smaller and less defined. Instead, stick to muted tones.
- Avoid matte lipsticks since they will give your lips a dry look.
- For a wider appearance, apply light-colored lipstick or gloss to the inner corners of your lips.
#4 Cupid’s Bow
A Cupid’s bow reminds you of the shape of your lips when you pucker up. Among the types of lips, these have a distinctive shape like a bow and are often associated with love and romance, thanks to the two peaks that follow the center of the upper lip.
There are cupid’s bows on every lip, but some of us have more prominent ones. As far these kissers go, Rihanna, Taylor, and Katy Perry all have them.
People with Cupid’s Bow lips are magnetic, so it’s hard not to be drawn to them. They’re always the life of the party and know how to make everyone feel comfortable and at ease. Their charm is impossible to resist.
People with these lips are also typically very loving and compassionate. They are always there for their friends and family, willing to help others in need. They truly have a heart of gold.
Lastly, people with defined cupid are usually very confident. They know their worth and don’t let anyone push them around. They stand up for what they believe in and aren’t afraid to voice their opinion. This confidence is appealing to others.
Makeup Tips for Cupid’s Bow Lips
- Outline your lips with a lip liner that matches your lipstick. Line them slightly outside your natural lip line to give your lips more definition.
- Fill in your lips with the lipstick, using short, feathery strokes to achieve an even finish.
- To accentuate your cupid’s bow, use a highlighter on the center of your upper lip. You can use either a powder or cream highlighter – just make sure it matches your skin tone.
- Finish off your look with a layer of clear gloss or balm to keep your lips hydrated and looking shiny.
#5 Different Top and Bottom Lip Sizes
Since lips vary so greatly in size and shape, top and bottom lips can also differ. While some people have a smaller top lip, others have a larger top lip. The same goes for the bottom lip.
Those with different lower and upper lip sizes usually have diverse personalities.
People with bottom-heavy lips are generally seen as more sensual and sexual, while people with top-heavy lips are seen as more intellectual and competent. This is likely due to the fact that people with larger bottom lips tend to be more expressive with their emotions, while people with larger top lips are better at communicating verbally.
People with different lip sizes are usually fearless and do not fear the unknown. They are also often overly trusting and make mistakes.
Due to their fearlessness, lips of this type prefer to be independent and love trying new things.
Makeup Tips for Different Top and Bottom Lip Sizes
- For a smaller top lip and a larger bottom lip, use a lip liner to create more of an even shape. Line the top lip with a light color and the bottom lip with a darker color. You can also use a lip gloss or lipstick in the center of your lips to add volume.
- For a larger top lip and a smaller bottom lip, use a dark lip liner on the bottom lip to create more of an even shape. You can then use a light-colored lipstick or gloss on the top lip.
Following the tips above will help minimize the lip size difference.
#6 Heart-Shaped Lips
One of the most sought-after lip shapes, heart-shaped lips are fuller at the center and taper off at the edges.
Heart-shaped lips are associated with being more sensitive and caring. Possibly, this is because their shape suggests a vulnerability not usually associated with other lip shapes.
Those with heart-shaped lips typically have striking personalities. They are often warm, friendly, and kind. Socializing brings them great joy. Sexuality is also essential to them, and they enjoy exploring it.
The hearty pout is seen as sexier than other pout shapes. After all, they are often associated with passionate kisses and romantic moments. A person with such puckers is typically viewed as more sensual and desirable.
Makeup Tips for Heart-Shaped Lips
- Wear light-colored lipstick or gloss to give your face a brighter look. Opt for a color that complements your hair and skin tone.
- Avoid using dark shades or too much coverage, as this can make your lips appear smaller. Instead, use light colors and sheer finishes.
- Make sure not to overapply lipstick or gloss since this can make your lips appear too full and unnatural. A light layer will do the trick.
- If you want to add some extra definition, use a lip liner that is slightly darker than your lipstick color to contour your lips.
#7 Not So Defined Cupid’s Bow
Here’s yet another lip shape that emphasizes trustworthy people. This type of lip is generally less defined in the arch or cupid’s bow.
Cupid’s bow lips with less definition may appear mysterious and sensual. This is because the lack of definition can create an air of intrigue.
People in this group are mature and deal with issues thoughtfully. They also manage time well and meet deadlines. As emotional beings, they are more prone to getting hurt than others.
Individuals with less defined cupid’s bow lips are often seen as gentle and shy. They may be quieter than those with more defined lips. They are usually good listeners and have a strong sense of empathy.
Makeup Tips for a Less-Defined Cupid’s Bow
- Use a shimmery lip gloss in the center of your lips to emphasize them even more.
- Highlight your cupid’s bow with a highlighter to make it stand out even more. Light pink or champagne highlighters work well for this.
- Apply the liner in a thin line along the outer edges of your lips. Do not fill in your entire lips with liner, as this will make them look too harsh and unnatural.
- Use a lip liner in the shape of an “x” to create a defined cupid’s bow. Finally, finish with a layer of lipstick or gloss.
#8 Goldilocks Lips
These lips are medium-sized—not thin or thick—with a cupid bow with a definition somewhere in the middle. It is an ideal lip shape with a lot of definition.
Among all the other types of lips, this type is an indication that people are quite grounded and well-balanced.
These individuals possess an incredible ability to overcome any obstacle. Thanks to their sharp logical skills, they are equipped with great common sense.
According to experts, people with these types of lips are known for their excellent listening skills. They are good and listening and therefore can resolve any task given to them.
The goldilocks’ lips indicate an emotionally stable person. Drama in relationships is not their thing, and they desire attention and connection. Moreover, they receive immense respect from others.
Makeup Tips for Goldilocks Lips
- Apply a neutral liner to define lips naturally.
- Peachy and pinky shades are the way to go for these lips for a natural glow.
- Go for the glossy effect for shine and hydration. Seal your lips with a clear gloss after applying the lipstick.
#9 Wide Lips
Lips of this type are usually wider than the rest of the face and elongated on the sides. They can make your mouth look elongated and wider and define its width.
There is an unusual lip type that suggests a very tolerant personality.
Generally, people who have wide lips are friendly, extroverted, and good leaders and perfectionists. Additionally, they may be better at art and music due to their creative and expressive nature.
Since these people embrace different ideologies, they are comfortable with people who have different viewpoints than they do.
There is a belief that people with wide lips are more assertive and dominant than those with thin lips. They may be less likely to back down from a challenge or take orders from others. Instead, they’re more likely to be their own boss and take charge of their careers.
Makeup Tips for Wide Lips
- Use a lip liner to contour your lips. Start by drawing a line just outside your natural lip line. Then, fill in the rest of your lips with the liner. This will give you a narrower appearance.
- Wear lipstick or gloss darker than your natural lip color to give the illusion of smaller lips.
- Use a highlighter on the middle of your lower lip. You’ll draw attention to that area, making it look smaller.
- Avoid putting too much lipstick or gloss on.
#10 Lips That Are Plump in The Center
This lip type is more plumper at the center of the upper lip and thinner on the corners.
Plumper center lips are often characterized by artistic people—they are natural performers, and they love to take pride in themselves.
Lips with these characteristics are outgoing and love being the center of attention. Party animals, they thrive on being surrounded by people.
As for their romantic relationships, they are naturally dramatic and love to be pampered.
Their lives are also very intense, driven by a great deal of passion. They love to have fun and infuse that fun into the lives of those around them. They enjoy life to the fullest but can at times be narcissistic and self-centered.
Makeup Tips for Plump Lips at the Center
- Fill in the center of your top lip with a light-colored lipstick or gloss. This will show off your lips more clearly.
- Keep your lip gloss on your center lips only. This gives the illusion of fuller lips without looking overdone.
#11 Fuller Lips
Among all the different lip shapes, naturally fuller lips are the most desired and common lip shape. To begin with, they look fuller and rounder than any other lip shape. Also, these puckers are less likely to have wrinkles or lines around them.
People with fuller lips are generally social, good at networking, and enjoy being around people. They are very expressive with their facial expressions, which can sometimes make them appear a bit over-the-top or dramatic.
Despite their outgoing nature, people with such pouts are also known for being loyal friends and partners. They value honesty and trust in their relationships, and they will do whatever it takes to maintain them.
Moreover, they usually indicate an empathetic personality with an impressive parenting instinct.
Makeup Tips for Fuller Lips
- To make your lips appear even fuller, add a touch of highlighter just above your cupid’s bow.
- Avoid dark colors or matte shades, as they can make your lips look smaller. Stick to light colors and glossy finishes instead.
- If you want to make your lips look smaller, use a lip liner that is one shade lighter than your lipstick and line the outer edges of your lips.
Lip Shape: What It Says About You
A part of our personality is reflected in the features we are born with, and they all embody who we are as a whole.
Face scientists believe that lips are one of the features that determine a person’s personality.
Apart from making expressions, different types of lips suggest deeper psychological features and personality traits, according to morphopsychology.
Ancient lip reading mainly focuses on the size, shape, the cupid’s bow’s definition, and the plumpness of lips. Based on these factors, the experts reveal several underlying meanings of a person’s personality.
Psychological generalizations have been linked to physical aspects of people throughout history. Even so, the result of these studies is surprising, but it lacks any scientific backing.
There are many different types of lips—some are thin, some are thick, and some are in between.
Lips come in all shapes and sizes, and each one is unique. You’d be surprised what you can learn about your personality from your lips.
So next time you see someone or yourself, take a closer look at their lips and appreciate the beauty they possess.
We hope you’ll take this as a fun, helpful guide to understanding your own kissers. No matter the results, it’s undeniable that by better understanding your lip type, you’ll be able to confidently apply makeup to suit your unique pout.