One of my skincare rituals includes adding more moisture to my lips when they need hydration. With that, let’s look at a beautiful DIY I’m sharing with you.
Let’s talk about today’s special – my DIY Calendula Lip Balm that takes care of all my lip woes.
What’s so special about this recipe?
Also known as calendula salve, it is often used as a lip balm. In just three to four applications, it helps hydrate lips with organic ingredients.
What you need
For the preparation, the following ingredients are used:
- Calendula flowers: 6-8 each (fresh or dried)
- Olive oil: 2 tablespoons
- (Melted) Beeswax: 1 cup
- Mint leaves: 1 tablespoon (preferably dried)
- Glycerin: 1 to 2 tablespoons
- Choco-vanilla extract: 1 tablespoon (optional)
- An essential oil you like: 2 tablespoons
Benefits of the ingredients
Calendula flowers: Due to its anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties, it reduces fungal infections. The skin benefits from its antiseptic properties. It is known for boosting collagen and making the skin elastic.
Olive oil: Antioxidants are abundant in it. Additionally, it helps to brighten and deeply moisturize lips.
Beeswax: By creating a protective layer on top of the skin, it keeps it moisturized for a long time. This aids in hydration.
Mint leaves: Besides its anti-inflammatory properties, it is also anti-bacterial, which helps in reducing inflammations. Skin feels very calm and relaxed after using it. Also, it brightens up your skin.
Glycerin: By retaining moisture into the skin, it locks in the moisture for longer periods. Lips remain soft and supple as a result.
Cocoa-vanilla extract: The presence of antioxidants in it helps reduce free radical damage. Moreover, it smells incredible.
Essential oil: It has aromatic compounds and has tons of benefits, including calming nerve cells and alleviating headaches and migraines. This is why it is used in aromatherapy treatments and spas. It contains anti-bacterial properties, which help to cure a variety of skin conditions.
Steps to Prepare the Calendula Lip Balm
- Melt the beeswax or shea butter in a glass pan.
- Place the measured amount of beeswax in the pan.
- Mix olive oil with butter or wax.
- Add dried calendula flowers to the mixture and a few dried mint leaves for a soothing scent.
- Then add the glycerin.
- Lastly, you can add some drops of essential oil of your choice. You may add cocoa-vanilla extract, but it’s optional.
- Add all the ingredients to the mixture and stir until smooth. Keep it in an airtight glass container or jar.
Why should you use this balm or salve?
It’s a nice all-in-one salve. The anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties of this product can help treat fungal and bacterial infections of the skin. Furthermore, it has anti-inflammatory properties that help to reduce skin damage. Also, it prevents some skin diseases, such as eczema, from causing irritation and redness.
What is the best time to use it?
You can apply this calendula salve to your lips using your fingers. Any time your lips feel dry, scaly or in need of hydration, apply the required amount.
Do’s and Don’ts
- Make sure you are using the appropriate amount or the equivalent ratio as indicated.
- When making the recipe, be careful when handling melted butter or beeswax.
- If you add too much olive oil or essential oils, it may take a while to harden.
- Don’t overheat or burn the wax during the melting process.
The bottom line
This calendula lip balm, or salve, will restore your dry lips back to life.
Lastly, I must mention that I have been making this recipe for two years now since I received it from one of my aunts. It’s been a magical homemade lip balm, I can tell you that.
If you liked this DIY calendula lip balm recipe, share it with your friends and family or anyone you care about.