Today we will talk about an essential step of skincare which is toner. When it comes to doing our skincare correctly, we often miss out on the essential step, which is toning.
We either deliberately skip out on this step or just think it is not important. But this is definitely not the case.
No matter whatever skin type you are, toner is essential for everyone. You should always choose toners according to your skin type and skin concerns. So, now we are going to talk about the best and affordable toners for acne-prone skin.
Best Drugstore Toner For Acne Prone Skin
Finding a perfect toner for acne-prone skin can get really difficult. And when you have sensitive skin like that, you might get skeptical about trying out a lot of products on your face.
Going to a drugstore and skimming through all the products can get really tiring, but you can find all these products in your own trusted online store: Amazon.
But not to worry, we here have some of the recommendations for the best drugstore toners for acne-prone skin.
Thayer’s Witch Hazel
If you are just a beginner in this toner world and do not want to break a bank already for buying a product about which you have no idea, this is a product to try as it is one of the best drugstore toners.
Thayer’s toner is ultra-affordable and also alcohol-free. It is generally meant to tighten your pores, which is also a bonus.
It comes in many variants, and you can try any of them as let your liking. But we suggest the original as the original is always the best one.
- This is the best drugstore toner for acne-prone skin as it is soothing and will make your skin bloom.
- It restores dehydrated skin and gives you a natural dewy and fresh glow.
- It tightens your pores, locks the moisture in, controls oil production, and keeps free radicals at bay.
According to the reviews: This toner has mixed reviews on Amazon. Some users find it highly satisfactory, and they recommend this as a great toner for acne.
It is unscented, which makes it suitable for those with sensitive noses. It makes the old acne marks heal faster.
This toner helps to remove the pile of dead skin cells from your face in a very gentle manner.
Others say that this toner has made them had the worst breakouts possible. So, please do a patch test before applying anything on your skin and see which one works out for your skin type.
Pixi Glow Tonic
Pixi is one skincare brand that is highly trending nowadays. You will find almost all beauty influencers trying out this brand and giving some positive reviews. While they do make some amazing skincare products, one of their best is the Glow Tonic.
It is probably one of the best drugstore toners for acne-prone skin that you can find. People with acne-prone skin can really find it difficult to reduce acne and can really relate to the struggle of diminishing acne scars and hyperpigmentation.
It also rapidly increases cell turnover by removing the layers of dead skin cells. This is the best drugstore toner for acne also because it contains aloe vera, which is known to soothe inflamed skin, and ginseng, which makes your skin young and glowing.
- Contains glycolic acid, which sheds dead skin cells and helps brighten up the skin.
- Reduces the appearance of pores and also tightens them.
- Nourishes and hydrates the skin like no other.
According to the reviews, most Amazon users refer to this toner to be the best drugstore toner for acne-prone skin.
This toner contains 5% glycolic acid, which is known to brighten your skin.
They have found this toner to be hydrating, brightening, and extremely helpful in pore tightening as well. Among all these positive reviews, there are also people with extra sensitive skin who have had an allergic reaction n to this toner.
Mario Badescu Glycolic Acid Toner
This product is the major name behind all the Victoria Secret models’ glowing skin and your favorite Kardashians. But that is not all that makes it the best drugstore toner for acne-prone skin.
This is a drying lotion, and as the name suggests, it contains glycolic acid, an AHA. It helps remove dead skin cells, thereby brightening the skin and bringing fresh new skin to the surface. It also contains grapefruit extract, which boosts cell turnover.
- Gently exfoliates the skin and reduces dullness.
- Contains glycolic acid, which removes dead skin cells, thereby brightening the skin.
- It accelerates cell turnover for younger-looking skin.
According to the reviews: Many users claim that this toner has cleared some of their stubborn acne and has provided them with fresh and blemish-free skin.
What makes this one of the best toners for acne is its ability to dry breakouts and even fade acne marks.
It also helps in getting rid of fine lines and wrinkles and also skin discoloration.
It is also an excellent product for dull and tired skin as it rejuvenates your skin, making it look fresh and glowing.
Neutrogena Alcohol-free Toner
Neutrogena, as we all know, makes some fantastic products for acne-prone skin. It is the best and affordable skincare brand that you can find out there.
Today we have one such product for all the people with acne-prone skin out there. It is their toner which is undoubtedly the best drugstore toner for acne.
- It contains mild purifiers, which gently removes impurities from the skin and also conditions it.
- This toner is dermatologically tested and recommended as one of the best toners for acne.
- It is alcohol-free.
According to the reviews: Users feel that this is one of the best drugstore toners without the cost of Starbucks.
If you have a super old T zone and you are frustrated with the shiny look on your forehead, then this is a holy grail product for you.
It regulates oil control and will also maintain the pH balance of the skin. It controls sebum production without stripping your skin from its natural moisture. Less sebum means fewer breakouts. So it’s a win-win.
It does not dry out the skin but still manages to regulate oil and sebum quite well. Neutrogena toner leaves the skin fresh without any irritation and inflammation.
The best thing about this toner is that it is great for people with sensitive skin since it is alcohol-free.
La Roche Posay Effeclar Face Toner
This toner is relatively stronger than the other toners you can find on our list. It is specially designed for ultra acne-prone skin, which is known to produce too much oil. But this is exactly why it is the best drugstore toner for acne. It uses lip-Hydroxy acid, which clears clogged pores and evens out skin tone.
- Reduces the appearance of large pores, thereby providing a smooth skin texture.
- It gently exfoliates the skin and unclogs the pores, and prevents further breakouts.
- It is not suitable for dry and sensitive skin as it contains alcohol.
According to the reviews: Amazon is bombarded with positive reviews of this product.
Some customers claim that this is one of the best toners for acne as it has gotten rid of their cystic acne.
It visibly reduces pores, and it leaves the skin with a soft and smooth feeling without making it too drying and striping.
This toner leaves your skin squeaky clean without stripping it from its natural moisture.
It contains alcohol, which is why people with dry skin and sensitive skin should stay away from it.
Missha Time Revolution Clear Toner
K-beauty has taken over the beauty world by storm. And to be honest, they make some of the best skincare products in this whole full world. Here we have a cult favorite from the Korean brand Missha, their Time Revolution toner. This toner is formulated with yeast extract, AHAs and BHAs, and also lactic acid. All these ingredients are known to exfoliate the skin, thereby providing new and fresh skin.
- This toner promotes cell turnover, resulting in rapid healing of the acne scars and evens out skin tone over time.
- Contains AHAs and BHAs, which remove and purifies dead skin cells and hydrate and brighten the skin.
- Contains years extract, which helps to nourish the skin for clear and healthy-looking skin.
According to the reviews: Ladies found this product to be helpful and drying at the same time.
Most users have seen results, and they recommend it as the best toner for acne. The key to using this product is patience.
Since this product is formulated with a lot of natural ingredients, it requires some time to work.
Most users have claimed positive results, while others say that it is a bit too drying beyond expectations.
Benton Aloe BHA Skin Toner
This exfoliating toner is among the best drugstore toners for acne. Salicylic acid is excellent for cleaning clogged pores and getting rid of dead skin cells, promoting fresh skin growth. It also contains snail secretions, which are known for their healing and antimicrobial properties. People with sensitive skin can also use this toner as it is made with aloe leaf water instead of purified water.
- Dermatologically tested and is great for sensitive and acne-prone skin.
- Takes special care of troubled skin by providing extra nourishment and moisture.
- Prevents skin damage and controls oil and sebum. Therefore, it improves skin texture and keeps it acne-free.
According to the reviews: Users are quite happy and contented with this toner. They have found it really useful and have recommended it as the best toner for acne.
It is loaded with the goodness of BHA, which is essentially salicylic acid. People with acne-prone skin must be familiar with this ingredient and must also know its benefits.
It is suitable for all skin types, especially sensitive skin since it is formulated with aloe leaf water. Customers claim that it is the best toner that they used to date.
Klairs Supple Preparation Facial Toner
If you are aware of Korean brands, you must know that this is one of the best brands for skincare originated in Korea. This toner is like food for your skin and is undoubtedly the best drugstore toner. It maintains your skin’s pH balance, and it is loaded with the goodness of hyaluronic acid, lipidure, and essential oils.
- Hydrates and calms the skin by maintaining the skin’s pH balance.
- Contains plant extracts that are non-irritating and super hydrating.
- Absorbs quickly into the skin.
According to the reviews: Customers have found this toner really helpful, and they claim that this toner does everything it is supposed to do except peeling and drying the skin.
It absorbs quickly and is gentle enough not to irritate sensitive acne-prone skin. The best part is that it gets layered well with your other products.
Klairs toner controls oil and sebum production and also retains moisture, which makes your skin soft and smooth for a really long time.
This toner is great for people with sensitive skin as it is known to calm and soothe red and irritated skin.
It is great for all skin types, and it really leaves the skin soft and hydrated. This toner is great for people who are skincare skeptics.
Paula’s Choice Skin Balancing Toner
This toner is specially formulated for people with very oily and acne-prone skin. It is loaded with antioxidants that control oil and regulates the formation of new acne. It also reduces pores for a smooth and flawless appearance. Paula’s Choice believes in giving you the ultimate beauty experience, and it is undoubtedly the best drugstore toner available out there. It contains Vitamin B3 or niacinamide, which is known to brighter skin tone and correct uneven skin tone and reduces spots and pigmentation.
- Minimizes pores and enhances the youthful appearance of your skin.
- Regulates oil and sebum without being too drying or stripping.
- It replenishes and nourishes the skin by providing lightweight hydration.
According to the reviews: This product has some excellent reviews on Amazon.
Customers claim that it is a perfect toner and has helped them with their pores me oil recreation.
People with dry skin have also found it useful as it provides hydration and nourishment.
However, people with sensitive skin have had some issues as they claim to have breakouts after using this product.
Proactiv Revitalizing Toner
The good old Proactiv has made it to our list of best toner for acne available at the drugstore. It has been one of the trusted brands for acne treatment for years. It is a revitalizing toner that is effective and reliable. This toner is alcohol-free and contains aloe extracts, chamomile, witch hazel, and also Vitamin B. It is known to gently exfoliate your skin, thereby improving its texture and giving it a smooth finish. It also regulates oil control, which prevents the formation of any further breakouts.
- Unclogs pores remove dead skin cells and also surface oil.
- Soothes irritation, boosts cell turnover, and leaves your skin healthy.
- Helps maintain the skin’s pH balance and also retains moisture.
According to the reviews: Since this is an age-old brand, the customers’ trust level regarding this product is quite high.
Amazon has some excellent reviews about this product. People with acne-prone skin have found it useful as it reduces oil and dried out their breakouts quite quickly.
However, people with sensitive skin found it irritating.
So it is always recommended to do a patch test before you apply anything to your skin.
Why Should You Use Toner On Acne?
Toners are very useful for people with acne-prone or oily skin. It removes excess oil and sebum, unclogs pores, and eliminates any trace of grime and dirt from your face.
Toners are also useful for people who just want a little more cleansing after a cleanser.
There are many drugstore toners available out there, but we shall only discuss the best drugstore toner for acne-prone skin. But before that, let us first see some of the benefits of toners.
- When you have too much oily and acne-prone skin, you will likely have large and open pores. Toner for acne-prone skin reduces the appearance of large pores. Applying a little toner with a cotton pad or cotton ball all over your face can really reduce large and open pores’ appearance.
- Toners restore the skin’s pH balance. Our skin is naturally acidic, and this balance can be disturbed after cleansing due to the cleansers’ alkaline nature. When this happens, our skin takes time to return to its normal state. But when you use a toner for acne-prone skin, it can restore the balance quite quickly.
- Toners can also add an extra layer of protection. When you use toner for acne-prone skin, it removes the excess dirt and grime and tightens the open pores after cleansing. It can restrict the generation of environmental dirt and pollution; therefore, keeping your pores clean and protected. This, in turn, reduces acne and inflammation.
- Oily and acne-prone skin tend to produce too much oil, and most people with this skin condition are just afraid to use moisturizers. But doing this can only make things worse. Most toners for acne-prone skin have humectants in them, which retain the moisture in the skin without applying a layer of moisturizer again.
- Due to excess sebum and oil production, acne-prone skin can get attracted to more dirt and crime. But most toner for acne-prone skin is formulated with really lightweight formulas that are beneficial in making you feel rejuvenated and refreshed. Instead of washing your face now and then, you can just wipe your face with a toner to leave your face revitalized in no time.
- People with ingrown hair can also benefit from toners. Toners containing glycolic acid or AHA’s can solve the problem of ingrown hair, resulting in smooth and bump-free skin.
How To Choose The Perfect Toner For Your Acne-Prone Skin
Choosing the right type of toner is really essential when you are combating skin problems like acne. There are so many toners out there that it gets really confusing as to which one to choose.
- If you have extremely oily or acne-prone skin, look for toners regulating your skin’s oil and control sebum production.
- Toners with active ingredients such as AHA’s and BHAs can also prove to be beneficial as they get rid of dead skin cells and also keeps your pores clean, thereby preventing any further breakout.
- You can also look for toners with Vitamin B3 or Vitamin C, which will brighten your skin.
Difference between a Toner and an Astringent
Be it a toner or astringent – every beauty brand has it. Undoubtedly both of them are used on your face and have almost similar effects. When you skim through skincare products in stores or over the internet, then you might have come across these terms. Most of the people out there pick anything they like without even knowing about them.
In layman’s terms, astringents are something that is formulated with alcohol. So if you have acne-prone or sensitive skin, then you might want to stay away from it as it can really dry out your skin, leaving it all red and irritated.
On the other hand, toners may or may not contain alcohol. Toners are milder than astringents, and they are designed for daily use. At the same time, astringents are only advised to be used before makeup to rebate your oil production and act as a barrier between your skin and makeup. However, both of these are quite helpful in reducing the appearance of large pores.
Non Comedogenic Ingredients To Look For In A Toner
When you have really oily and acne-prone skin, the last thing you would want is to break out from your makeup. Choosing the right type of ingredients, especially non-comedogenic ingredients, can really be a game-changer.
Non-comedogenic might seem like a fancy word, but it basically means that these ingredients do not block your pores.
Ingredients used in makeup and skincare are generally rated on a scale of 0-5. 0 means that they are entirely non-comedogenic and will not clog your pores, whereas 5 means it is most likely to clog your pores.
So if you suffer from oily acne-prone skin, then you might want to look for the term “non-comedogenic” at the back of your product. Ingredients rating from 0-2 is usually considered as non-comedogenic:
You can learn about your ingredients better from CosDNA, a website that scans ingredients in your skincare product.
Tips To Take Care Of Your Acne-Prone Skin
Acne-prone skin requires special care, and there is a reason why some products are specially formulated for acne-prone skin. So if this is one of your major skin concerns, then you might want to follow these steps:
- Cleanse gently as harsh cleansers can strip your skin of its natural oils, leaving your skin damaged, irritated, and inflamed. Avoid over washing your face as well.
- When you are prone to breakouts and have active acne, then avoid scrubbing. Scrubbing can lead the bacteria all over your skin, causing more breakouts. Also, physical scrubs can be really harsh on the skin. Therefore uses chemical exfoliators like AHAs or BHAs.
- Choose your makeup products wisely. Use products which days non-comedogenic as they will not clog your pores and will prevent any active breakouts. Also, always keep your makeup brushes clean to avoid the build-up of any dirt and bacteria.
- Make use of clay masks to give your acne-prone skin a pampering session. Masks made of green clay, pink clay, rhassoul clay help greatly in fighting acne.
- If your skin is acne-prone, then you might want to avoid dairy and sugar. Dermatologists claim that milk components increase the testosterone hormone, which produces more sebum leading to breakouts. Also, more sugar can accumulate fat in your body, which is another component that feeds acne.
- If you are breaking out frequently in your forehead, chin, back, and neck, you might want to switch your shampoo to a more natural one. Chemically loaded shampoos can cause ugly breakouts. Also, try to keep your hair clean and away from your face.
- Keep your hands away from your face too. Your hands touch so many things in the entire day, and touching your face with those dirty hands can be a source of your problem. Therefore always clean your hands before touching your face. Also, keep your mobile phone screens clean as they even touch your face, which can lead to breakouts.
We hope that we helped you in picking the best drugstore toner for acne-prone skin. Acne is a major problem, and almost 80% of people suffer from it. Dealing with acne can be really frustrating, and it can also lower your self-confidence. But nothing is impossible. Following a few tips and a few changes in your daily routine and lifestyle habits can help you combat this problem.