Acrylic nails are currently on-trend, and they do an excellent job of adding some amount of length to your original nails. Despite the job well done, there comes a day when you have to remove it. Maybe after a month or few weeks, you have to undergo the process of the painful acrylic nails removal.
The best option is to get it removed by experts, but the removal does not come cheap. Not everyone has that kind of time or money to visit a nail parlor every time they want something done to their nails.
When it comes to removing your acrylic nails by the simplest of means, Acetone is always your best friend. It is a strong chemical that easily dissolves your acrylic nails, making it easy for their removal. But regardless, we here are about to share with you some ways to can remove acrylic nails without acetone.
Why Should You Not Use Acetone To Remove Nail Polish?
Everybody loves to apply nail polish, but there also comes a time when you need to remove them to get another fresh set. This is when nail polish removers come into play.
Nail polish removers are basically of two types. The one is acetone, and the other one is non-acetone. These removers dissolve the front hard base of your nail polish and effectively removes it.
Nail Polish contains several ingredients like color pigments, plasticizers, film formers, and resins. These are the ingredients that give those nice luscious-looking color to your nails. The only problem, however, is that removing them is not the easiest.
When it comes to removing tough nail polish, Acetone is always the favorite. It is a potent chemical solvent that dissolves the hardest of the nail polish and removes them effectively. The only problem with this nail polish remover is that it is too harsh on your skin.
While using acetone, it sometimes tends to remove the natural oils from your skin. Using acetone often makes your skin dry and tacky.
While using it, you will sometimes notice that your skin has turned completely white. This is when you should realize that you have put too much Acetone and dried out your skin even further.
Acetone is, however, the most powerful solvent for removing stubborn nail polish. But it is considerably drying and harsh on the skin and the cuticles. Women who have dry skin or who have the problem of weak and splitting nails, they should avoid the use of Acetone.
5 Ways to Remove Acrylic Nails Without Acetone
Acrylic nails no doubt looks super pretty. They give your nails a look that can never be achieved by a simple manicure. However, when it comes to its removal, it is not only painful but super costly.
The cheapest method you can find of removing acrylic nails is by using Acetone. But we already discussed what it could do to your skin and nails.
This is why we here bring to you some of the ways on how to remove acrylic nails without acetone. They are not only quick and easy but definitely budget-friendly and cost-effective.
Using Dental Floss
This is probably the easiest and quickest method of removing acrylic nails at home. It is free of cost and does not involve rocket science or some fancy supplies. This method comes in very handy when you do not have several hours to spend in the removal of your acrylic nails.
Things You Need:
- Dental Floss
- Cuticle Stick
- Nail Oil
- The first step involves finding a partner. You cannot do this alone, and so you need someone who can help you with the take-off of your acrylic nails.
- Use a cuticle stick and make a slight cut between your original nail bed and the fake nails.
- Once the cut is done and you can see space insert your dental floss into it.
- Allow your partner to do this carefully so that your finger is not wounded in the process.
- The recommended length of the dental floss is about 12-15 inches.
- Now that the floss is inserted in position, ask your partner to move back and forth and go deeper into the cut.
- As your partner to repeat this process until you see the acrylic nail coming out.
- Finally, when the fake nail has come out quite a bit, use your fingers to pull it off from your natural nail.
- Once this is done, it is time to take care of it. File your nails in a pretty good way as your nail might get a bit damaged in the process.
- Clip your nails to the desired length as they might have grown while your fake nails were on.
- Apply some nail oil to your cuticles and nails to keep it moisturized.
- Wash your hand pretty well after the process and use a good moisturizer afterward.
This method is, however, not a recommended one since it can cause potential damage to your original nails. Also, if you do this process very forcefully, then it might cause severe bleeding and extensive damage to your nail bed. This is only to be done during rush hours and that too if it is extremely necessary.
2. Using Hot water
This is another way to remove acrylic nails without acetone. This method is, again, the easiest and super cost-effective as it involves only water.
Things You Need:
- Nail Oil or Vaseline
- Start by heating the water. Heat it until it is warm enough to soak your hands in it.
- Insert your nails and let it soak for about 15-20 minutes. Warm water will soften the nails, and it will be easier to remove it.
- Dip your nails long enough till you see your acrylic nails starting to swell. Swelling means r nails can now be easily removed.
- Keep it long enough until you see your nails coming off easily.
- Once you see your nails coming off, use a toothpick to detach the acrylic nails from your natural nails, be very careful with this step.
- After you have successfully removed it, use a nail file to remove the excess glue from your nails.
- Apply Vaseline or natural oil to moisturize your nails to keep them soft.
3. Using A Nail Filer
Another way by which you can remove your acrylic nails is by using nail filers. It can be a little time consuming, but it can remove your acrylic nails effectively. It also saves your nails and skin from coming into contact with any chemicals, thereby saving it from any potential damage.
Things You Need:
- Nail Filer or Buffer
- Orange Sticks
- Nail Clippers
- Cuticle Scissors
- Cuticle Oil
- The first step will be to clean your nails from all the colors and designs.
- Clip your nails to the shortest length.
- Now begin to file them by using long strokes. Keep filing the nails until you feel that you have reached the original nail bed.
- Once you have filed all of the acrylic nails away, look closely for any remnants.
- If you see anything left, then use a cuticle scissor and clip open the edges. Do this in small pieces as you do not want to open them too much.
- Once everything is done, use an orange stick to remove the excessive acrylic glue.
- This process can be harsh and Damaging, so follow it up with cuticle oil to keep your nails moisturized.
4. Using A Laminated Business Card
This is the quickest and easiest method on how to remove acrylic nails without acetone. This practically requires only one item, and it is probably found in everyone’s purses. This method s to be done only in desperate times and during extreme need or hurry. You can also use a credit or debit card for this process.
Things You Need:
- Laminated Card
- Orange Sticks
- Pry open the edges using the orange sticks. Make a small opening for the business card to insert.
- Once you have got the opening, insert the business card gently and apply pressure in an upward motion.
- Keep doing this on one side at a given time and repeat it until you see your acrylic nails coming off.
- Avoid damaging the natural nail bed and be gentle while applying pressure. And voila! Your acrylic nails are removed just like that.
5. Using Acetone Free Nail Polish Remover
Acetone free nail polish remover is not as efficient and effective as acetone removers. They take quite a lot of time, and it means that you need to rub your nails more than usual. However, it is a safe method since Acetone can be severely damaging to your nails and skin.
Things You Need:
- Acetone free nail polish remover
- Nail clippers
- Begin by clipping your nails to the shortest possible length.
- Pry open the edges using the pointed sharp edge of your tweezer.
- Pour your acetone-free nail polish in a bowl.
- Dip your nails and let it soak for about 20-30 minutes.
- While your nail is soaking, you will see that your acrylic nails are beginning to loosen.
- When you reach this stage, use your tweezers to remove the nails gently.
- If you feel any problem, then soak it one more time to make the process easier.
Acetone free nail polish removers tend to evaporate after some time. So it is a wise idea to keep adding some remover from time to time. This will make your process more comfortable and will allow your acrylic nails to come off easily and quickly.
Essential Things To Take Care Of While Removing Acrylic Nails
Now that we know so many ways to remove acrylic nails, here are some tips which you should follow while removing acrylic nails at home.
- Do not try to pull out your nails forcefully. This will not only be painful, but it can also pull out your natural nail bed, causing you to bleed severely. This will also lead to infection.
- To restore your natural nail bed, uses a cuticle oil immediately after the removal of your acrylic nails. This will help your nails to heal fast.
- Some of these processes can be a little harsh on your nails, so do not forget to follow up with a moisturizer to prevent any damage.
- Scrape off the excess glue or any remaining residue of the acrylic nails to allow your natural nail bed to breathe.
- Before you decide to go for another set of acrylic nails, give your nails at least a rest period of one week. This will restore the natural balance of your nails.
Acrylic Nails can be damaging, and the removal can be even more damaging. Some of these processes can be harsh, so it is essential to take care of your nails after you have removed it. Here are some ways by which you can take care of your nails once you have removed your acrylic nails.
- Quit using your nail polish for a while. Allow your nails to breathe and leave them bare for at least a month. Going nail polish free will allow your nails to regain their original strength.
- After you have left your nails untouched for a month, use a nail strengthener every three days to strengthen your nails.
- Acrylic nails can be damaging, and this can make your nails prone to breakage. Therefore keep your nails as short as possible and file them daily and only in one direction.
- Eat healthily and include lots of protein to strengthen your nails. Also, eat plenty of vegetables and fruits to keep the hydration going. You can also consume biotin supplements that are known to strengthen nails.
- Do your household chores wearing gloves, and after you come in contact with water, moisturize your hands and nails immediately with natural oils.
These were some of the easiest ways on how you can remove your acrylic nails at home without Acetone. These methods are not only budget-friendly, but they are also quick and can save you a lot of time. The post-care, however, is very important as it can take up to 4 months for your nails to fully regain its strength. Therefore, follow the necessary steps to maintain healthy and beautiful nails.