Cheekbones play an essential role in framing your face structure. These bones are located on your face underneath the skin.
Your cheekbones originate as malar bone in your face. Cheekbones being high or low does not necessarily indicate anything about you or your personality and highly depends on your genetics and ethnicity.
There are some cultures where high cheekbones are highly attractive, while in some others, it does not matter where your cheekbones are situated.
What are Cheekbones and their Types?
Cheekbones, aka malar bone, are typically situated underneath the skin in the human skull. It is the slightly raised bone in the human skull located at the bottom of the eye socket.
The scientific term for cheekbones is zygomatic bone, and it is a pair of irregular bones. This malar bone articulates with the temporal bone, maxilla and sphenoid bone, and frontal bone. Cheekbones are located at the upper and bottom part of the face, and it ensures the prominence and formation of the cheeks.
The position of the cheekbones plays an essential role in face reading. There are generally six types of cheekbones, and here, we will learn about them in detail.
A person has high cheekbones when their cheekbones are located close to their eye socket.
These people are often arrogant and proud, and they are often known to invite trouble.
We know that our eyes are a reflection of our hearts. If your cheekbones are located too close to your eyes, you are likely to cause harm.
Cheekbones only affect your luck at the age of 46 to 47, and the influence on your eyes will only last from 35 to 43.
You have a low cheekbone when your cheekbone is located at the bottom of your nose.
People with low cheekbones are known to have power when they reach middle age. They generally have to be obedient both at home and at work.
Low cheekbones are considered less attractive, and those with low cheekbones are less trustworthy. This, however, is not a basic indication, but it is just some myths people came to believe over the ages.
Uneven cheekbones are considered if you have one high and one low cheekbone.
Cheekbones of this type usually suggest unstable luck and power and also a wretched career. People with this type of cheekbones face generally many life changes. These people have to struggle and suffer a lot, and they also face a severe marriage crisis.
If a person has a low cheekbone on the left, it indicates loss of power, and a low cheekbone on the right indicates struggle in keeping the position.
While high cheekbone on the left indicates a widened horizon in the jurisdiction, and a high right indicates short-term power experience.
Prominent cheekbones are the ones that are precisely defined and perfectly located in the face.
Those with this type of cheekbones generally have leadership qualities, and they are neither too bold nor too humble. They are talented and noble, and they can be trusted with important secrets and tasks in life.
Prominent cheekbones are a sign of power and fame, and they indicate outstanding achievements in life.
Protruding cheekbones are the ones that seem to be protruding out from the face.
Those with this type of cheekbones are known to be opinionated and domineering. These people are busy throughout their life, and they are known to be tactical. They are generally skilled and intelligent but are often known to lead a poor life.
Sunken or Flat Cheekbones
Sunken or flat cheekbones are like having no cheekbones at all. They are not defined and precise and generally indicate a lack of vitality and cowardice.
These people are insightful, and they are weak-minded and inflexible. Flat cheekbones also indicated a lack of perseverance and fighting spirit.
Those with flat cheekbones have a limited sense of responsibility, and they seem to agree on everything. They make a terrible leader and usually are slow in terms of achievements.
High Cheekbones vs. Low Cheekbones
As already said, cheekbones do not generally have any significance. But in some cultures and societies, it is of extraordinary importance.
Some of the Asian societies accept high cheekbones as it indicates energy and vigor. Asians feel that high cheekbones are signs of dedicated and gallant individuals. They also think that individuals with high cheekbones are considered more attractive.
In the United States Of America, people with high cheekbones indicate brilliance and insightful people.
Now coming to people with low cheekbones. Low cheekbones are considered to be antisocial. They love their own company, and they enjoy their own conversations. They are also not motivating and always need a push to make things happen. These people experience anguish and often stay depressed.
The Journal Of Cosmetic Dermatology says most attractive people have one thing in common: high cheekbones. The study also stated high cheekbones are an indication of high estrogen levels in women. This is why some societies and cultures prefer women with high cheekbones and consider them more fertile. Also, high cheekbones play a part in framing the symmetry of your face.
How To Tell If You Have High Cheekbones
Most of us are unaware of the placement and positioning of our cheekbones. Not being a makeup guru or cosmetic dermatologist makes it difficult to locate our cheeks’ placement on our faces.
Here we will share how to locate your cheekbone and determine if you have high or low cheekbone.
- Stand in front of a mirror and make sure that you have enough lightning falling on your face.
- Place your thumb on the tragus of your ears. After this, place your index finger at the bottom of your nose.
- Now gently bring your fingers close and feel the bones on your face together. This is where your cheekbones are located.
- Place your hands still on your face and then look at the mirror.
- If you can feel your cheekbone right beneath your face, then you have high cheekbones. And if you feel your cheekbones are at the bottom of your nose, you have low cheekbones.
- Once you are done detecting your cheekbones, you can highlight and contour your face accordingly.
How to Chisel your Cheekbones with Makeup
Face contouring is a great way to chisel your face and accentuate your features. Makeup techniques for enhancing your features can be a little tricky or complicated. But if you do it right, then you can definitely bring out your features in a better way.
Now we will share some makeup tips that will help you chisel and enhance your cheekbones:
Step 1: Begin with perfecting your base. Apply a foundation to achieve a more natural coverage. If you have imperfections, then look for a foundation that provides you with the desired coverage.
Step 2: After this, begin with the contouring process. Now you can chisel and contour your face with either foundation, concealer, or bronzer. However, your contour product should not be too dark for your skin tone to achieve a natural look.
Tip: When you are using a foundation, or a concealer, use a darker color to conceal the hollow under your cheeks and use a lighter shade to bring out your cheekbones. This will give you a more chiseled and defined cheekbones look.
Step 3: Highlighting is a brainer. It gives you a more prominent and illuminated look. Adding a few swipes of your highlighter can add a much-needed glow to your face. If you place the highlighter correctly on your cheekbones’ highest points, it will be great to enhance your cheekbones.
Exercises to Achieve Beautiful Cheekbones
If you look at the models in fashion magazines and TV, you might wonder how they get chiseled cheekbones. We already talked about how to get them with makeup. Now, we will learn how to achieve those perfect cheekbones with the help of some exercises.
Here are five simple exercises that will enable you to have the cheekbones of your dreams.
- Begin with making an ‘O’ face.
- Round your lips in an O and then widen it as much as possible. This will give the ‘X’ shape.
- Do ten repetitions of this, and make sure to contract and retract as much as possible so that
- your muscles feel the stretch.
- Fill your mouth with air by inhaling.
- Shift this air from one cheek to the other.
- Push the air inside the cheek walls as far as possible.
- Exhale and relax.
- Repeat this and continue it for as long as you want.
- Suck your cheeks in and make a fish-like face.
- Hold this position for 10 seconds, and then relax your face.
- Do this 3-4 times, and your cheek muscles will feel the tension.
- This is an easy-peasy exercise, and as the name suggests, you just have to move your mouth in the motions of mouthwash without using an actual mouthwash all the time.
- Suck air into your mouth and make movements as you will normally make while rinsing your face with a mouthwash.
- Continue this movement for 1 minute and make the movements fast.
- Close your eyes and smile as widely as possible
- Place your fingers beneath your cheekbones on both sides and try to lift your cheeks upwards. The position will just be like a smiling clown.
- Stay in this position for 15 seconds and then retract your face.
- Do this exercise 10-15 times to get the desired results.
Now you know the difference between high and low cheekbones. Achieving the perfect cheekbones can be a bit of a task. But it is not impossible, though. If you do these exercises regularly, you will surely achieve the cheekbones of your dreams.
Disclaimer: The traits mentioned in the article for different cheekbones are based on face reading and not my own.
If you enjoyed and found this post helpful, please share it with your friends and family.