We all love taking care of our skin, but we eventually forget to take proper care of our hair. Due to this, often, our hair is left dry and fizzy. Our hair needs proper moisture, pamper, and we need to nourish it properly and one way of doing it is through hair masks for shiny and glossy hair.
An unhealthy lifestyle and improper diet are also major causes for the hair to break off. In addition to that, different weather conditions have different effects on our hair. During the summer season, hair and scalp typically becomes greasy. During monsoon, hair is usually frizzy along with the greasiness. Because of the harsh weather, hair eventually becomes dry and rough. Accumulated dust on the scalp along with pollution is a major cause for lost shine and volume of hair.
But not to worry. There are some ways by which we can take care of them and using hair masks for shiny and glossy hair once in a while is a great way to bring some health to your hair.
What is a Hair Mask?
A hair mask is a treatment used for hair problems such as hair loss, damaged hair, rough and frizzy hair, and dry hair. A hair mask contains several ingredients depending upon hair’s concern, which will end up nourishing your hair. A hair mask can be used once a week.
What does it do?
Hair masks are extremely beneficial to your hair. It is a blend of different ingredients that can be applied to your hair from root to ends. Hair masks need time to work and so they can sit on your head varying from minutes to hours.
Below are a few masks that can be used:
Eggs and Mayonnaise Hair Mask
Yes, you read that right. Apart from being a delicious and yummy food for sandwiches, it is also useful for beauty. Eggs have been used as one of the oldest products to add to your hair care routine. It has a nice amount of nutrients such as protein and vitamins that control your hair damage. The application of eggs on hair can help you with hair growth and make your hair more shiny and soft. Check out other egg hair pack recipes for every hair type.
On the other hand, mayonnaise can be used to cure problems of hair loss and damage. It is an excellent source for the deep conditioning of hair. It strengthens up your hair as well as adds a great shine. And we all love shiny hair, right?
What you need
To make this egg hair mask, we will need:
- 1 egg (depending on your length and volume, you can take 1 and the yolk of other if your hair are long or you have a great volume)
- 2- 3 tablespoon of mayonnaise (I have taken two because of my short length and volume).
How to Prepare?
- Mix all the ingredients together and nicely so that when we apply it in our hair, we don’t see eggs on one side and mayonnaise on the other.
- Apply this mask evenly on our hair from root to tips, cover them up (or secure it with a hair clutcher) and leave it on for 20-25 minutes.
- After this, wash it off with a shampoo and be careful to wash it nicely and thoroughly as we do not want any residue to lie behind in our hair.
Shikakai and Coconut Oil Hair Mask
Shikakai is a brilliant natural ingredient used for hair. It is hands down one of the widely used ayurvedic medicine for hair loss. It covers various problems such as split ends, lack of moisture, rough and dry hair. The powder of Shikakai takes away the dirt and pollution and enhances the natural oil present in your scalp. It has got tremendous properties such as antioxidants and Vitamins, which will provide you strong hair. Due to its antioxidant properties, it will restore that health to your scalp.
Shikakai powder can be paired with any oil of your choice to create a hair mask. Some of the oils are:
- Coconut Oil: we all are aware of the fact that Coconut oil is an excellent product. It is used for hair growth, hair shine, deep conditioning and whatnot.
- Olive Oil: It helps in maintaining a healthy scalp and leave your hair nicely conditioned. It makes your hair more thick and voluminous. Apart from being used for cooking, it also serves several good qualities for skin and hair.
- Almond Oil: This oil extracted from almonds contains vitamin E, high levels of protein and omega-9 fatty acids that strengthen hair and repair split ends.
Apart from the oil mentioned above, you can also go for castor oil, jasmine oil, jojoba oil, whichever you think is suitable for your hair type.
What you need
- 3 tablespoons Shikakai powder
- 3 tablespoons of any oil of your choice
How to Prepare?
- Depending on the length and volume of hair, we will take about 3 spoons of powder and 3 tablespoons of oil if the length is short and about 5 spoons of powder and 5 tablespoons of oil if the length is long (for me, as my length is too short and the volume is less I have taken 3 spoons of powder and 2 spoons of oil).
- Make a thin paste to apply and spread it evenly and make sure there are no lumps. Castor oil is usually thick, so you can mix it with other oils like coconut oil, jasmine oil and the powder.
- When the two ingredients are blended together nicely, you can start parting your hair and apply the mask.
- Leave it on for 15-20 minutes and then rinse it off nicely using a cleanser. Make sure there is no residue left on your hair and you have nicely washed it from root to tips. (I prefer coconut oil).
Using any of these hair masks for shiny and glossy hair one a week (or as preferred by you) will improve the quality of your hair. Natural ingredients play a vital role. However, don’t forget to eat more greens and have a healthy and balanced diet with a proper sleep schedule and less stress. We may be unaware, but these things also, directly and indirectly, affect our skin and body. If you are stressed out and not having a proper routine, nothing will be proven useful, no matter how much and whatever you apply.
Remember to take a patch test before you go ahead with the final application to avoid any allergy, rashes, and reaction. These DIYs have been used by me, and they have been proven useful. Still, each individual’s hair reaction to other ingredients might be different.