Holi – the festival of colors is all about colors and spreading happiness, eating delicious food and having chilled drinks. It’s just fun, fun and fun as long as you’re playing and indulging in it and it is when you’ve realized you’ve done damage to your skin because of those chemical-laden colors. But fret not, I’m here to tell you about how you can take care of your skin and hair after playing Holi and prevent the further damage.
1. Wash your face with a mild cleanser. To take off those colors, don’t wash your face with a harsh face wash. Instead, prefer natural cleansers like besan (gram flour) and olive oil and mix it and apply the paste on your skin. Then wash off with cold water. Note: Always use cold water as hot water can make it hard for the colors to fade.
2. Avoid using scrubs and harsh exfoliants for at least a week. Scrubbing may aggravate acne or damage skin which will result in flaky, painful skin bumps.
3. Use natural moisturizers like coconut oil, olive oil or almond oil and massage them into your skin. They nourish the skin from within and repairs the skin damage. Keep your skin moisturized and avoid washing your face more than twice a day!
4. Colors can affect lips too cause severe dryness. Use a moisturizing lip balm to repair dry and cracked lips.
5. If your skin is itching, apply fresh aloe vera gel to your skin to soothe it.
6. Take a bath with a mild and hydrating body wash instead of soaps. Using soap on skin to wash colors off will make skin itchy and scaly so avoid it. Don’t rub skin vigorously as it can lead to skin rashes.
7. If you’ve got your teeth stained by colors then use a solution of salt and lemon juice to remove them.
8. You can occasionally apply the sandalwood-turmeric-curd paste on your skin and leave it for 20 minutes and then wash. You can know more natural face pack recipes here.
9. Avoid putting over any makeup on face until you get completely rid of colors.
10. Incorporate a regular C-T-M routine to indulge your skin in a healthy routine.
1. Wash your hair with plain water before using a shampoo. Use a clarifying shampoo to wash colors off. Let the shampoo sit on your hair for at least 10 minutes.
2. After using a shampoo, use a rich conditioner which is hydrating. Use a ripe banana as a deep conditioner. You can also use mashed avocado as a hair mask. For further tips read this post about tips for gorgeous hair!
3. Oil and shampoo your hair regularly. Use oil at night and wash with a herbal shampoo next day.
4. Make a paste of soaked fenugreek seeds and apply it your hair. Wah it off after 30 minutes.
5. Don’t let your hair open for few days until your hair texture gets balanced like before.
I hope these tips will help you deal with Holi aftermath. Avoid using petrol or anything harmful to get rid of the colors as it will do more harm than good to your delicate skin. Stop being harsh to your skin and let those colors go away on their own and it will take at least 2-3 days to get completely rid of them. Just be patient and be regular with your post-Holi skincare regimen!
Show me some love, connect with me!